Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle)'s Reviews > Bloodline

Oct 03, 09

it was ok
bookshelves: blood-sucking-fiends, young-adult, part-of-a-series
Read in October, 2009

This is a book which continues in the same vein (get it? Vein, vampires? Hardy har har) as the original Dracula both in its storytelling method (through diary entries and letters) and in many of the characters. However, it falls short of the original in its pacing, which is erratic, and story, which can't seem to make up its mind (is it a romance? Is it horror? Is it a thrilling action-adventure? It could be all of those, if the story were more cohesive). Character development is pretty shallow, and the plot seemed somewhat contrived. It's not a terrible book, but it could've been so much more. However, to be fair, I'm not in the target age range, seeing as I'm an adult (although I use that term loosely). I believe this book and series was written more for a young-adult audience, so perhaps I'm judging it too harshly. I'll put it this way: Even though I have no interest in reading other books in this series, I wouldn't go so far as to say this book is as atrocious as Twilight.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodline.

10/01/2009 page 133

message 1: by faeriemyst (new)

faeriemyst Oh, you are just too witty! LOL And geez, there's your Twilight hatin' again. Don't you know it's like totally the best book like ever written? Who doesn't love a statue stalker who sparkles in the sunlight and a girl with no personality or spine, who lives to not be a person in her own right? Maybe you should write your own book that's on a best seller list before you have an opinion!

*snicker*

Honestly though, good review, I now know to pass on this. Too bad, it sounded like the book had promise but it never showed up. :D

Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle) I know, I just can't help myself, hatin' on that Twilight. I'm surprised I haven't gotten a few virtual stones thrown at me yet. :P Are you sure you're not secretly a Twilight lover? You captured their "arguments" so well. *snicker* ;D

Thanks. I was hoping for so much more from this book. What a shame.

message 3: by faeriemyst (new)

faeriemyst Of course not! How could you even say that? And you call yourself a friend! LOL :D Twilight fans are, in general, fairly repetitive, so it's easy capture their "arguments". ;P

Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle) A thousand apologies for insulting you, my Faerie Friend! ;D

I know, they do tend to sound like a broken record, don't they? I've yet to read one intelligent explanation of why someone likes the book; I guess, though, if one is intelligent enough to write an informative review, one would be too intelligent to read the book in the first place. MEOW!

BTW you don't have to take my word about the book, if you're still interested in reading it. It won't hurt my feelings one bit, as I'm very much aware that what floats my boat won't necessarily do so for someone else, and vice versa.

message 5: by faeriemyst (new)

faeriemyst Well, you're forgiven, for now. ;D

MEOW indeed! LOL I'm sure there's a rare intelligent person that has read and actually *choked noise* - excuse me - enjoyed the book(s). I know I've certainly liked what others have thought horrid (or worse) and my intelligence is slightly above average (if I do say so myself). ;P

Neh, I'll take your word for it. I hadn't heard of this book before, so no biggie passing on it. Besides, there are way too many other books to get to first.

Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle) Thank you, oh gracious lady. *squelchy noises from the kisses raining down on the hem of your regal skirts* :D

I'm sure there is, too, but I just have a hard time grasping the idea. However, as you said, there are books that I like that others have booed. There's something out there for everyone and every level of intelligence, I guess. My book bigotry is now going back under its cover. (Har har, I made a punny!) ;P

Too true. The list of books I want to read stays outrageously long; every time I think I've cleared off a few titles, a dozen more take their place! 8/

message 7: by faeriemyst (last edited Oct 13, 2009 07:27AM) (new)

faeriemyst Oh geez. I'm not even going to comment.

*groan* And what a punny it was. *rolls eyes* Why must I suffer so? LOL j/k :D

That's all? If I clear one off the list, fifty take its place. I'm going to die without reading even a millionth of what I want to read. *sniffle* I sincerely hope that after I die I go to a huge library. Preferably like the one from Disney's Beauty and the Beast. Anytime I think of the perfect library, that one always springs to mind. :)

Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle) ;P

Aw, you know you love it! LOL ;D

Well, I was trying not to come off as overly dramatic about my reading list (unlike some people--hee hee j/k), but your statement about fifty books taking the place of one is more correct. I know, that library is to die for. One of my biggest fantasies is to have one of those manor houses with the two story libraries, with a spiral staircase and those ladders on rails which allow you to reach the top of the tall, tall bookcases. Oh yum! :)

message 9: by faeriemyst (new)

faeriemyst I will admit to nothing!

Oh, that's my dream too! *drooling, but not on any books* ;P What a heaven that would be, as long as it doesn't have any Twilight-esqe books. :D

Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle) Wuss. ;P