karen's Reviews > The Gone-Away World

The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway

Oct 01, 2009

bookshelves: dysto-teque, the-end

dear jasmine,
you and i are so diametrically opposed in all things literary. i swear i am not rating this on the lower side just to retaliate for your not loving winshaw legacy. if the truth be told, it's higher than a three, but i feel like i give out a lot of fours, and i think i may have failed this book rather than this book failing me. failing like the way i am going to fail this computer class - i.e. - spectacularly. it had a lot of things to make me respond positively - there were some truly memorable scenes: the showdown between master wu and the ninjas was really beautifully done, the found thousand was another gorgeous part, ike thermite is incredibly lovable and badass - there are a lot of lovable characters, come to think of it. there was just so... much. i'm still not clear about what FOX does to stuff, or how the pipe actually functioned... there was a lot happening in the middle that made for great scenes and images, almost short-stories-within the book that i would hate to not have read, but which muddied the shape of the narrative a little for me. plus i have been drowning in school and stress and mess in my head... there were days when i would go to read it on break and end up sleeping the whole hour on the stoop. sigh, i am so utterly classy. and days where i had to read my computer textbook which means no time for fun reading (fat lot of good it did me, i say) but you know what - the more i am thinking about this and writing through it - the more i am liking isolated elements of it. i think i will give it a four anyway - its not like i am on the nobel panel or anything - i liked this book. there. now i am closer in taste to you, and i can continue my month of dystopian, apocalyptic and other world disaster-reading.
sincerely,
karen t. brissette

oh, and i forgot - to all the people who aren't jasmime - the book is fuzzy!! not fuzzy like my cat, but like the "poochie and slomo" book. so even if you dont like mimes and ninjas and aftermath of technologically advanced weaponry then you can carry it around like a pet. its an example of worst transition to paperback ever because the tp is such a boring cover, comparatively. get your fuzz on!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gone-Away World.

04/03/2016 marked as: read

Jasmine it is okay. We don't always have to agree as long as we appreciate that the books are good we just need different kinds of books for fives.

Honestly when I read this I got really angry at the end when he found out "what he was" but I got over it.

Jasmine Also I talked to tom too, and I think that I will read Rotters club.

karen i liked that, actually, but it took a little while to sink in. it seemed to be a really complex concept to reveal so quickly. or maybe to prolong it too long before the reveal... it seems like it might complicate the backstory, but i would have to read it again, knowing what i know. but - holy mimes!

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen I voted for this review even though I'm not sure what the hell you are talking about. But thanks for warning me away from the book.

karen its not a bad book, is just very complicated and detailed and i wasnt able to read it all in one sitting, because life got in the way, but i think if i had, i would have liked it more. there are a lot of great story-in-the story parts. like, really great.

message 6: by Greg (new)

Greg Is it complicated like Avril Lavigne? After reading the Nick Cave book one can't help but wonder if the fuzzy book cover has any relation to Avril also? So many Avril questions.

karen mmmm pink and fuzzy

message 8: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Ya know, pink and fuzzy together are a little gross.

karen reason number two for you not to read this book.

message 10: by Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (last edited Oct 10, 2009 08:50PM) (new)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio All this cryptic and weird Nick Cave book/Avril Lavigne stuff is...I dunno...cryptic and weird. Imma scared, folks! It feels so complicated!

message 11: by Stephen (new)

Stephen MFSO is himself no longer cryptic or complicated? The end is near!

karen this book has zero to do with avril lavigne. greg is just fixated on her after reading the nick cave book.

message 13: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Ah, now things become more clear. MFSO can come out of hiding.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio karen wrote: "this book has zero to do with avril lavigne. greg is just fixated on her after reading the nick cave book. "

Greg is weird. I'm still scared.

message 15: by Stephen (new)

Stephen MFSO I'm calling the medics. Either that or the exorcists. Something scares you? Impossible.

message 16: by Greg (new)

Greg Avril's vagina is not something to be scared of, but something to be pondered about.

"...People will say "But Avril, you put the Peaches song in your top five best favorite songs ever." And "Avril, you love Peaches." All of that is true. I think Peaches is an amazing artist -- a real hero of mine. I own all of her albums, and I've seen all of her videos. I even named my vagina after her! How punk rock is that? ..."

Just some more to think about.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Greg, this is NOT alleviating MY Sunday afternoon existential angst/nausea.

Can't we talk about something light and fluffy like religion or politics?

message 18: by Greg (new)

Greg It's amazing what you can find with a few seconds on google.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Comment number three took the words right outta my brain:

"Why does everything have to be so complicated?"

karen man - things have been happening all over goodreads.com! stupid lack of emails - how will i keep up?

Jasmine I love how suddenly you apologizing to me has become popular. Yay for aplogizing to jasmine!!

message 22: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! This author is snuggled right up against Harington so my eyes get pulled over by the neon colors of the cover. I finally read the blurb and plan to read it because of the ninjas. Maybe I should wait until I go on vacation and have brain time to devote to it? My head don't work so well anymore.

Jasmine ninjas!!!!!

message 24: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Neenjah!

message 25: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam You know what is wrong with this book? NER.

karen eh!? - are your books alphabetized at home?? you delightful nerd! i am jealous. i wish i had the space for mine to be all tidy.

miriam - if that is a reference to something in the book, you need to remind me because it has been a long time since i read it... i remember certain things very vividly (sob) but others are fuzzier. like the book.

and if anyone was concerned about me, i ended up getting an "A" in the computer class i was so convinced i was going to fail.

karen maybe later today i will send you photos. i am very good at organizing within a small space, but there is nothing that can be done to arrange the books so that they can all be seen, let alone alphabetized. i mostly know where they all are, but even that is starting to slip, and i have been so busy lately, i haven't even been able to take my most recent purchases out of their bags.... but i am going to more bookstores today!! hooray for mental illness!

karen sure, but i don't even have shelving units for them. when i bought all those shelves at ikea, they were instantly filled. what i would need to be able to do would be to have space enough to pull all the books into one location, group them there, and the re-assemble them back to where there is room for them. and there is just not. room for them. it is just not feasible, and i am generally pretty clever with managing small spaces. i was, for a time, until the space kept growing smaller and smaller. but i am not terribly unhappy about it, it is just the way things are...

karen okay. next time you are in town, i am making you AND ONLY YOU this offer. you may peek within these walls. and it might horrify you, but i think you need to understand the amount of space we are talking about. my cozy little cave. i love it, i do, but it has limitations. and then, when you see it, i want you to be wicked impressed that i can make a 7-course thanksgiving dinner outta this kitchen.

karen bring your hazmat suit.

no, i'm kidding - it's not dirty, just cluttered. although if you come before this paper is due, it might be dirty, too. housework is taking a backseat lately, although i took an hour off on friday to fold laundry and do some general tidying. i think i only have one paragraph to go for what is due tomorrow.

thank god for fluids.

message 31: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam if that is a reference to something in the book, you need to remind me

No, sorry, it was a reference to this conversation: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I think you were busy writing a paper then. Congrats on your A! U is compooter expert.

I also organize books topically, btw. And within topic mostly by size, because that lets me fit more books. I used to alphabetize ones that were all the same size, like trade paperbacks, but I didn't bother this move because most of them are in boxes in the garage. It is very sad. I just renewed my lease and am depressed.

karen ohhh haahha!! i hadn't even read that thread!! just the review. but yes!! NER fer sure!

karen oh, and that computer A was so long ago, i don't even feel triumphant about it anymore. but i think i for real just finished the paper that kept me from ceridwen's thread. (just the part that is due tomorrow, though) so, i am hoping to work my way to another A that i can be blase about this time next year...

message 34: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! As usual, gr notifications gave out over the weekend and I luckily stumbled across this thread to see...

karen wrote: "okay. next time you are in town, i am making you AND ONLY YOU this offer. you may peek within these walls."

...betrayal!!! What about my peek!?!?!?

message 35: by Jen (last edited Oct 24, 2011 11:42AM) (new)

Jen Exactly. I say we go there and throw rocks at her window until Rapunzel lets her hair down and we climb up.

Or she could just let us in the door.

message 36: by Eh?Eh! (last edited Oct 24, 2011 12:18PM) (new)

Eh?Eh! Elizabeth wrote: "karen wrote: "eh!? - are your books alphabetized at home?? you delightful nerd! i am jealous. i wish i had the space for mine to be all tidy.

I sort of forced it on her once when I visited. Eh, di..."

Oops, and I see this book next to Harington at the bookstore, I don't own it. I arranged my books in the following categories:
-books I found on my own that I love and am not ashamed for others to see
-books that goodreads has blessed me with and I'm not ashamed for others to see
-Lit-rah-chuh, read
-Lit-rah-chuh, unread
-non-fiction
-miscellaneous
-to-read-soon has it's own bookcase, with a whole shelf devoted to currently-reading (I'm a loose, unfaithful reader)
-a pile of books that I'd rather my mom not see, things with "witch" and "devil" in the title
-a pile of embarrassing books, including most of the bodice-ripper group selections
-all the fantasy books from my teen years that will be shelved in a less public space

message 37: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Jen wrote: "Exactly. I say we go there and throw rocks at her window until Rapunzel lets her hair down and we climb up.

Or she could just let us in the door."

We would probably get somewhere if we threw cookies and grilled cheese. We know her weaknesses! How about this baby red panda? Or this rare 1st edition *coughcoughsniff* novel?

message 38: by Jen (new)

Jen Aha! See, I was just planning to wear her down. Your idea is much more appealing.

(because if she never does open the door we'll have cookies and grilled cheeses)

message 39: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam And reading material.

message 40: by Jen (new)

Jen and perhaps a baby panda to feed.

Do they eat grilled cheese?

karen i will not be broken!! you would have disdain for me! to see my stacks!! and topplers!

message 42: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! I see I will have to resort to subterfuge. Back door route! I will learn to make the best empanadas in the world for bribes....

karen gasp!! you wouldn't dare!!

message 44: by Jen (new)

Jen karen wrote: "i will not be broken!! you would have disdain for me! to see my stacks!! and topplers!"

I highly doubt it. Not when there's a chance to play a good indoor game of hide and seek.

Besides, being crushed by a book avalanche is on my bucket list. Would you take that from me?

karen awww. i guess not. only just gently crushed, though. i dont want to cause lasting damage.

message 46: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam Maybe it should come last on the list.

karen the crushing?

message 48: by Jen (new)

Jen Yes, I agree. I for one would hate to kick the bucket half way through my bucket list.

karen ooh, but then you could haunt me!!

message 50: by Jen (last edited Oct 25, 2011 07:28AM) (new)

Jen I would definitely haunt you if there was a half-finished crossed-off list left.

« previous 1