TeenFiction Teton County Library's Reviews > Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Sep 30, 2013

liked it
Read in January, 2013

TCL Call number: YA RIGGS R
Stephanie’s rating: 3 stars

Gosh! Just looking at the cover gave me the hibbie jibbies! I didn’t even realize the girl on the cover was levitating…oops did I just spoil it for you? Don’t worry. There are plenty of other eerie pictures throughout the book that the cover seems to be quaint after all. In “Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children” you meet Jacob, a boy with a special gift, although he doesn’t look at it that way, but it is petrifying. His grandfather has died leaving him to wonder who the man really was. He knows about Miss Peregrine’s home, because that was where his grandfather grew up, and so Jacob travels to the island where the home is situated to seek answers. Once there, all he finds is a run-down house that’s been abandoned for decades. No one knows what happened. No one talks about it. Well now this is where the story gets real good and real scary! And it did, BUT then it turned into a Scooby Doo hunt where it was no longer terrifying rather it was endearing. I wasn’t too disappointed. I cared about Jacob and his well being and that of the other characters (the peculiar children) so I can’t be too harsh about the ending. Maybe that was the way it was meant to be. Anyways, I hear whispers that Tim Burton is in the works to make the movie! Stay tuned!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.

09/30/2013 marked as: read