Heather's Reviews > Helen of Troy

Helen of Troy by Margaret George

Dec 31, 09

bookshelves: historical-fiction

As a lover of Greek mythology, my interests were piqued by the title alone. And as someone who has always thought of Paris as a petulant child and Helen a victim of kidnapping and rape, I was interested to read George's slant on the events that transpired between the Trojan Prince and the Spartan Queen. I was dazzled.

Helen's air headed tendencies aside, I found myself sympathizing with her more than once. She is most certainly a flawed character, but I found her humanity and tenacious spirit compelling. As for Paris, I was able to see beyond the arrogant child that I always thought him to be and perhaps fell a little in love with him myself. He and Helen's interactions were passionate and beautifully written. The chemistry between these two lovers could have ignited the pages. The tragic inevitability of their pairing was truly poetic and the ending was breathtaking, I say that because I was sobbing as I read it.

Georgoe seemlessly transports her readers to both Sparta and Troy. I felt as though I could smell the sea, feel the wind, and touch every blade of grass. Simply put, I feel in love with Troy, Paris, and this book.
3 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Helen of Troy.