AJ LeBlanc's Reviews > The Partly-Cloudy Patriot

The Partly-Cloudy Patriot by Sarah Vowell

What I most enjoy about Sarah Vowell is how much she enjoys being a geek. I imagine her mentally high-fiveing herself after writing a particularity geeky phrase or sentence, while at the same time creating geekness that is so effortless and embedded into her DNA that she probably doesn't even realize what she has just constructed. She loves words, she loves information and she loves to share it.

This is a perfect memoir style for her; the only way she could write memoir. She tells stories about herself by using historical moments to set the stage. As she describes her experiences visiting a uber-obscure historical site she overlaps the moments with memories of her childhood and her thoughts on her present day. Her personal history is twined with USA's history and she cannot tell one without adding in the other.

I know some people cringe at her voice, but I love listening to her and having the audio version of this book made it much better. With memoir especially, I want to hear the person tell his or her stories. I want those sarcastic lifts and important pauses.

The bonus with this one? The guest readers and music by They Might Be Giants. Stephen Colbert as Al Gore alone is worth the library wait.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Partly-Cloudy Patriot.