Kim's Reviews > The World Below

The World Below by Sue Miller

Oct 01, 2009

bookshelves: women-lit

I like Sue Miller. I have read a few of her books and rub my hands in excitement at the fact that I have unread offerings on my bookshelves.

The story of this book revolves around two women, Georgia the grandmother and Catherine her granddaughter. Catherine is all grown up and becomes a grandmother herself by the end of the book.

The book very easily and clearly moves between the stories of the women. Georgia’s grandmother is also a character, briefly, as is Catherine’s granddaughter. And yet this is not an epic in any way. It is the story of women. It is the story of the things women have happen to them. It is the story of the secrets women keep.

It is also the story of the discovery of one’s roots; of the randomness of existence. But for a single event none of us may exist - our grandparent’s grandparents had to meet in order for us to be. And maybe as the end we justify any means.

I got this off another review because I could not have said it better: Miller is a remarkable writer; her ability to give you immense detail in quick and easy segments is a true gift. Her characters are drawn so masterfully that you will feel like you have met them before, in real life. Georgia, whose story is relayed to us bit by bit, is as perfect a literary creation as any character can be --- and Miller, because she takes her time to reveal little by little Georgia's haunted past, keeps the reader so completely involved that they won't be able to put this book down for a moment.

The stories of the two women are gripping in their apparent simplicity. But the depth of their stories slowly becomes evident, sucking the reader further into the story and the interlinked lives of the generations of women in the book.

Men appear in the book too and Miller’s acute sense of the lives of women does not exclude men at all.

The last paragraph of the book will knock your socks off.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World Below.

Toni I liked your review but I think you shouldn't have included the "little event" that gets added to Cath's life towards the end of the book. It's a little bit of a spoiler. Sorry.

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Hi Toni. It is years since I read this book and wrote the review so I am not sure what spoiler I included. Please let me know and I will remedy this. I hate spoilers

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Toni Well, I was trying to hint at it so I wouldn't say it and repeat the process. It's in your second paragraph, about what Cath "become" by the end of the book. All good stuff, not bad.