Julia's Reviews > An Echo in the Bone

An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon

Oct 12, 2009

bookshelves: magical-realism, historical-fiction
Read in October, 2009

** spoiler alert ** If I could, this would be 4 and a half stars.

Claire, Jamie, Ian, William, (Jamie’s illegitimate now adult son who is an English Lord and officer), Lord John (Willie’s stepfather), Jenny, Ian, Brianna and Roger each (and more, many, many more) have stories in this sprawling tome. Finally, finally, finally I got to reread Claire as a surgeon at the Battle of Saratoga that I must have first read fifteen years ago on Gabaldon’s website. The war for Independence is heating up. While Jamie believes Claire, that the Americans will win, he doesn’t want to end up on a battlefield fighting his son. He sails for Scotland with Claire and Ian, but is waylaid and ends up on a battlefield across from his son anyway. Brianna and Roger are back in the 20th Century, Brianna working as an engineer at a hydroelectric dam. Ian sees his son Ian one more time with Jamie and Claire. But Ian and Claire rush home and Jamie is separated from them.

Claire thinks this while on a mad run from Ft Ticonderoga:“You couldn’t give any of them more than a hand to hold, I told myself fiercely, limping as I stumbled after Ian. It was true; I knew it was true. But I also knew that now and then a hand in the dark gave a sick man something to cling to against the rushing wind of the dark angel. Sometimes it was enough; sometimes it wasn’t. But the ache of those left behind dragged at me like a sea anchor, and I wasn’t sure whether the wetness streaming down my cheeks was swat or tears.”(p. 503)

After a conversation with the Polish engineer Kosciuszko Jamie thinks: “The notion that it was better to spend one’s life in pursuit of a noble goal than merely to seek safety – he agreed with that entirely. But surely such purity of purpose was a province of men without families? A paradox there: a man who sought his own safety was a coward; a man who risked his family’s safety was a poltroon, if not worse.” (p.528)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Echo in the Bone.

10/01/2009 page 119
14.51% ""Yet man is born to trouble, as the sparks fly upward.""