Gemma's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Oct 10, 09

Read in October, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I guess I was a little bit disappointed with this book. The first 2/3 of it was so good... And then it kind of went downhill.

The whole Quarter Quell thing felt like a remake of the first book. We've already seen Katniss fight to the death in an arena with 23 people out to kill her; why make her do it again? I would have liked the author to continue the whole 'rebelling against the government' thing, and have Katniss and Peeta be a mentor in the Games, not contestants (again). And it never felt like she was really there. It was rushed through, and it seemed as though Suzanne Collins added it in at the last-second when she decided to make the book a little bit thicker.

Also, this story seemed more brutal than the first. Was it just me? Maybe because I haven't read the Hunger Games since January, but it seemed like the deaths were more... detailed. The Peacekeepers shot people in the head way more frequently, and what's with President Snow smelling like blood and roses?

And, they ended it without telling what happened to Cinna. I need to know what happens to him. I can guess that Peeta's still alive, they won't kill him off (yet), that makes the whole Peeta vs. Gale situation way too easy. But Cinna? There's no telling what will happen to him.

But despite my problems with the storyline, the ending, the descriptions, I still liked Catching Fire. And I'm still waiting for book three (probably Sept. 2010). Sigh...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

Margaret I love your reviews. I was telling your mom at the pumpkin patch field trip how great they are. I don't always agree but I do find that you really think through your reviews.

I loved this book. I think it was rushed because I read it too fast.

The violence seemed the same to fact the wolf things were scarier for me in The Hunger Games.

My prediction is Kat will try to save Peeta and Gale won't be happy about it and will have to help. What's yours?

Gemma Don't read this book while watching Lost. The pilot was on, and my parents let me watch it, with me reading Catching Fire between commercial breaks.

The dreams I had were just bizarre.