Kate's Reviews > The PMS Outlaws

The PMS Outlaws by Sharyn McCrumb

May 23, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010
Read in May, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I was so disappointed in this book! I dearly love the Elizabeth MacPherson series, and this one ... well, this one had Elizabeth in a terrible space (I'm trying not to do a spoiler here). She was in a psychiatric facility for depression. I kept thinking that the situation would change, deus ex machina, but it did not. Will there be another book in the series for that? Evidently not, since this book was published in 2000 and there aren't any more listed.

There was a second story running contrapuntally to Elizabeth's story. It involved a young woman criminal and her attorney -- the two of them went rampaging all over the South, and Elizabeth's brother Bill, the lawyer, is trying to track them down.

From the back cover:
"Hospitalized for depression over her missing husband, forensic anthropologist Elizabeth MacPherson is please to discover that insanity liberates one from polite hypocrisy. Out in the real world, Elizabeth's brother Bill has bought a stately old mansion to use as his law office, only to find that the house comes with a charming codger-in-residence who is far too old to be a dangerous outlaw ... isn't he? Meanwhile, Bill's law partner is trying to track down the PMS Outlaws -- an escaped convict and her fugitive attorney -- who are cruising pickup joints and wreaking a peculiar vengeance on lust-crazed men.

Sharyn McCrumb's incisive wit and her genius for mirroring everyday life are once again on full display. The PMS Outlaws is an outrageous parable of modern mores -- "a story of disparate parts that come together in a most satisfying way."

I think she just wanted to wrap up the series, and used a hodge podge to do it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The PMS Outlaws.