Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Stranger in a Strange Land

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

Jan 07, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, science-fiction

Another classic that I can live without. I read this book because it was recommended (by every science fiction source out there). This was one of Heinlein's weakest (in my opinion) and in spite of all these kudos...I "greatly dislike" this one.

Why? I really didn't get into it from the word go. It's not really representative of (at least most of) Heinlein's work. It's slow moving, preachy, and for me just flat annoying. I didn't like the "Oh so loved" main character, and didn't get into the story.

My opinion...didn't like it, can't recommend it. Decide for yourself I suppose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stranger in a Strange Land.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jackie Why is it the most highly touted books are the crappiest ones? I liked this book but it was nothing like how every makes it out to be the greatest scifi book of all time.

Mike (the Paladin) I think it appeals to the "literati" more than his other work (though some of his later ones hit the same notes). I've never worried too much about that. if I like a book of for that matter movie, TV program, music or whatever I like it. I can't always say why I suppose. Anyway, your right it often seems to be the way.

[Name Redacted By Goodreads Because Irrelevant to Review] I suspect this one is so popular because it isn't advocating militarism (Starship Troopers) or colonialism (many of his others). It is, in fact, a relic of 1960s hippie-ism.

Mike (the Paladin) Heinlein was very much a libertarian and he was (according to a documentary I saw on the Science Channel) expressing a different part of personal freedom here. He was surprised at the adulation he received from the Hippie movement. Young people in their "hippie garb" showed up at his house with this book to be signed for a while.

I don't like all Heinlein's work but this one fit in so neatly with the prevailing view of a lot of the literati (as most of his work didn't) that it was embraced and won myriad awards.

As noted I don't care for it. I read years ago and found it uninteresting. Just my taste, to each as they say.

message 5: by Bev (new) - rated it 5 stars