Christopher H.'s Reviews > The Legend of Sigurd & Gudrún

The Legend of Sigurd & Gudrún by J.R.R. Tolkien

As soon as I found this hardbound edition in the bookstore, I snapped it up. This 350-page book contains J.R.R. Tolkien's interpretation of the two ancient epic poems from the Poetic Edda of the Icelandic peoples. Tolkien's son, Christopher has compiled and edited his father's work on the "Lay of the Volsungs" and the "Lay of Gudrun." This is earthy and spare poetry; rich in story and tradition; and provides a tangible connection to our ancestors and their mythology more than a thousand years ago. This is a book to read, re-read, and study; and, I have to say, it somehow feels canonical, as "Beowulf" is considered to be. Christopher Tolkien's notes and comments on his father's work help place these poems in their proper context. Finally, I see that some of the ideas and concepts developed in Tolkien's fiction are the direct result of his life-long fascination and study of the Poetic Edda. I highly recommend this book; it is real a treasure!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Legend of Sigurd & Gudrún.