Sean's Reviews > Darkness, Take My Hand

Sep 30, 2009

bookshelves: 2009, college, fiction, mystery-thriller
Recommended for: Everybody
Read in October, 2009 — I own a copy

Easily one of the best and scariest mystery novels ever written.

Those of you who know me —or my writing— are aware of my intimate relationship with hyperbole. I love saying "This is one of the best ____ ever" or "One of the greatest _____ of all time." This time, I really, really mean it. You can choose to take what I say with a grain of salt, that's entirely your choice, but I am 100% serious, 0% hyperbolic when I tell you that Dennis Lehane's Darkness, Take My Hand is among the best detective novels ever written.

Picking up where A Drink Before The War left off, Lehane's private detectives Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro find themselves once again investigating a case that seems pretty standard and simple. However, in the world of Dennis Lehane, this couldn't be farther from the truth. The truth, it turns out, is something more disturbing or terrifying than anybody could have ever imagined.

Dan Brown's got real competition: this book is impossible to put down, and it never lets up. The twists and turns are fast and often, barely giving you a chance to get your bearings before the next shocking revelation. Darkness, Take My Hand is an exhausting novel that will take complete control over your life until you've read it from cover to cover. An absolute masterpiece: one that will surely be remembered years and years from now.

Final Grade: A
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness, Take My Hand.

10/03/2009 page 140