LiteraryLover's Reviews > The Beekeeper's Apprentice

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

Jun 18, 14

bookshelves: historical, historical-mystery, mystery-suspense, favorites
Read from May 13 to 16, 2014

In The Beekeeper's Apprentice a young fifteen year old Mary Russell meets an aging Sherlock Holmes at the beginning of World War I. Mary's had a difficult past even at her young age but she's also somewhat of a child prodigy. Holmes recognizes her talents and for the next several years they develop a sort of father/daughter mixed with a mentor/pupil kind of relationship that grows throughout the book. There are several mysteries the two of them become involved in as Russell attempts to make Holmes view her as an equal.

I'd heard a lot of good things about this book. I mean really, how could the blurb "Sherlock Holmes gets young female sidekick" not get me interested? It's very focused on character development although the mysteries were very well thought out and kept me on my toes. I felt like the author put a lot of time and research into this and I appreciated the focus on gender. I was a bit disappointed in the author's portrayal of Watson but otherwise I found it really entertaining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beekeeper's Apprentice.

05/13 marked as: currently-reading