Laura's Reviews > Santa, Honey

Santa, Honey by Kate Angell

Oct 25, 09

bookshelves: anthology, christmas, romance-sports, 2009
Read in October, 2009

Anthology - 3 stories in one. Overall a good read...one was okay, one was almost really good, and the other was really good.

Ho, Humbug, Ho by Kate Angell
3 1/2 stars
This is the 5th in the Richmond Rogue series. The last book, Sliding Home introduced Alex Boxer. He's a young, arrogant, center fielder. In this story, he's on his way to south Florida for some Christmas fun in the sun...especially with blond twins waiting for him. He gets the book thrown at him for speeding in a school zone in Holiday, FL. He's stuck there doing community service for a week--dressing as Santa Claus.
Holly McIntyre is Alex's "boss" for the week. They find themselves attracted to each other, but they both know it isn't what they want.

I liked this story...it was cute with a few really good one-liners. Alex is an arrogant jerk, but he knows it. Holly knows it, too, and doesn't let him get away with it--much. It ended a little abruptly and seemed like to tidy and quick of an ending. I would have really liked more out of this one.

Naughty or Nice by Sandra Hill
2 1/2 - 3 stars
A reprint from 1996! I noticed it pretty quickly when the hero is compared to a "old Brad Pitt" and he is only 35. Isn't BP like 45 now?

Jessica believes herself to have a "Christmas Curse." Bad things happen to her on Christmas, so when she finds herself on Christmas Eve dressed as Santa "sticking up" a grocery store, she isn't surprised. The other Santa at the store is surprised when she takes him hostage. Luke is a bodyguard by trade and should be able to find a way to subdue the woman, but he finds himself intrigued by her and decides he must prove to her that he loves her.

It was just an okay story...a little rough around the edges for me. Some of it was funny, but mostly, it seemed to fall a little flat. The whole idea that Luke falls in love at first sight and spends the rest of the book proving to her he does is a little out there. It just seems a little stupid. Don't know, but it was not that great.

Christmas Unplugged by Joy Nash
4 1/2 stars
Casey is dragged to an upstate NY resort for Christmas by her beautiful actress younger sister, Emma. Even though she needs to work, she agrees to go since her sister is recovering from a breakup. Upon arrival, the sisters meet Jake and Matt, brothers who work at the Lodge and both notice Emma right away. That annoys Casey as well as the fact that she can't get satellite reception and there is no electricity!
Jake pounces on Emma and asks Matt to keep Casey busy so that she doesn't ruin his fun with Emma. Matt happily complies because he finds Casey intriguing.
This is an adorable story. It also works well in with the length. Writing a good anthology story is an art...it needs to work well in the shorter length without feeling rushed or losing the character development. This story was well written. I liked the characters and didn't feel like the story was rushed or left anything major out. I haven't read anything by Joy Nash before, but judging by this story, I will put books by her on my TBR.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Santa, Honey.

10/21/2009 page 100
31.06% "finished Ho, Humbug, Ho...on to Naughty or Nice"