Pang's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

Oct 03, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: recently-read
Read in October, 2009

The sappiness of Henry and Claire's relationship is what got me hooked, but even that is not enough for me to give the book a four-star. First, I think the book is too long. Some of the parts are dragged on and on. If it wasn't because I had to return the book, it would have lost my attention FAST! I feel as if the author is trying to sew a bunch of stories into one and hoping they would stick; some do and some don't. Second, I agree with many reviewers here who are also annoyed with the name-dropping. I live in Chicago, so I can appreciate some references, but there are too many to not make you feel like you're in a promotion for Chicago. Lastly, I find Claire's relationship with Gomez a little disturbing, especially after Henry has died.

I, however, enjoy the love stories: Henry and Clare and Henry's parents (Annette and Richard). The sadness of when you lose someone you love so much. Henry is a bit worse since he sees his death. How they want so much to hold on to some perfect moments together in their imperfect lives.

In the end, the love stories got me, but the rest of the story was the buzz killer.

09/30/2009 page 63
11.54% "Kinda cheesy so far... Ouija board points that "henry" would be clare's "husband." Hmm..."