Amir Mishali's Reviews > The Invisibles, Vol. 1: Say You Want a Revolution

Oct 19, 09

bookshelves: graphic-novels, 500-essential-graphic-novels
Read in October, 2009

What a disappointment.

I expected something really great, but instead this was weird for weirdness sake, self-indulgent and pretentious.

To top it all, there's the weird conversation on page 158. When King Mob is asked if other people can see them, he answers "They can see us but the thing is, our appearance don't fit the consensus reality here, so their brains will probably rewrite the information coming in through the optic nerves so that it makes sense". What a lame, half-arsed, lazy explanation! Especially considering that a couple of panels later we get this: "Recently, on certain nights, citizens claim to have seen hideous black shapes prowling the graveyards, digging in the corrupted dirt. The smell from the innocents, of course, is enough to send any brain reeling, but the storiesI've heard say that the dead are being visited by things like insects. Like giant insects." Yeah, right. I guess it is much weirder to see a bunch of guys dressed up like clowns than to see giant insect-like humanoids. Blah.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisibles, Vol. 1.

10/17/2009 page 164