Jessica's Reviews > After the Moment

Mar 27, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: review-copy
Read in September, 2009

I received this book for free from the publisher. All content and opinions are my own.

After the Moment is told from Leigh’s perspective, a considerate, athletic, and intelligent teen. He lives with his mother in New York City but spends a good amount of time at his father’s house in D.C. with his little step-sister, Millie. When Millie’s father is killed, Leigh moves to D.C. to support Millie and meets her friend Maia. Maia is a self-proclaimed train wreck – recovering or suffering from a number of issues including anorexia, cutting, alcoholism, etc. Leigh immediately falls in love with Maia. They have a couple of months of first love bliss. Then the event occurs that throws them forever into the “after.”

I liked the flow of this book. The language is, at times, great. I really felt like I was inside Leigh’s head. I experienced his bewilderment at the world – especially about girls. I liked Leigh’s character, as well as Millie’s, though I wish their relationship had been explored a bit more. I also enjoyed the references to the war in Iraq and Leigh’s confusion about the issues. I think his confusion, even after media saturation, is a very real malady these days. One sticking point for me was that Leigh is drawn as a pretty smart, grounded teenager, but once Maia enters his life, he makes poor decision after poor decision and doesn’t really see that the decisions were poor. Also, some of the characters seemed a little flat – like pawns in the plot. Still, After the Moment is an interesting view of first love and the ability of teens to love wisely.

I plan on reading more of Freymann-Weyr’s work, particularly My Heartbeat, which was a 2003 Printz honor book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After the Moment.