John Dudash's Reviews > If I Should Die Before I Wake

M_50x66
Sep 30, 09

Read in September, 2009

** spoiler alert ** If I should die before I wake book review
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes historical fiction. The book tells the story of a girl in a neo-Nazi gang who gets into a motorcycle accident and is on the verge of death, and is having flashbacks into a Jewish girl’s life during the holocaust while she’s in a coma. I think the author wrote the book to show people that everyone has their own problems and you shouldn’t make fun of people if they’re different.
The part of the book that captivated my attention was when the family was left without father and Zayde, and they were kept in a room with another family and, were struggling with starvation. The struggle for survival is what kept me reading, because they had so many obstacles to pass just to live. The book made me feel like I was watching them from outside the window and I could see and feel the sorrow they all felt.
My favorite character was Zayde because how strong he’d always try to be for the family until he died, and a line from the book that just captivated me on Zayde’s death was, “He was cold like an iron rod, cold and still, so very still. My Zayde was gone. Baruch dayan emet.” My least favorite character was Jakub because he only cared about himself and not the family and just tried to escape and got his best friend killed while trying to escape.
The ending was pretty easy to guess after a couple of chapters. Hilary lives and drops out of the neo-Nazi gang. If this book was a movie I would put that one girl from twilight as Hilary, Harrison Ford as Zayde, and Tom Cruise as Jakub.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Should Die Before I Wake.