Martha's Reviews > Good Book: The Bizarre, Hilarious, Disturbing, Marvelous, and Inspiring Things I Learned When I Read Every Single Word of the Bible

Good Book by David Plotz

Sep 30, 09

bookshelves: stuff-you-need-to-know
Read in September, 2009

I checked it out from the Mount Prospect Library, but I don't think I'd buy a copy.

The author does a secular book synopsis / review of the Old Testament. He is a non-practicing, non-Hebrew speaking Jew. He reads the entire book in one year, and examines his revelations and feelings.

If you pick it up, read the last chapter to get the gist of his thesis, which to me is valid: The Bible (usually referring to both Old and New Testaments) is the most important touchstone of a significant portion of the world, yet very few people actually read all of it. And reading all of it is very disturbing and messy.

I could do without the forced contemporary references to Brittny Spears and Penelope Cruz. The author does fall into snarky-ness, which may offend some readers.

There is no scholarly research at all, just evaluating what is written in the Bible. The author does occasionally reference differences between several mainstream translations. This is an interesting take if used as a springboard to further study.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Book.