Qt's Reviews > Larklight

Larklight by Philip Reeve

Oct 05, 07

bookshelves: science-fiction

This book was a really neat one, a sort of Victorian-era sci-fi. That is, it was set in the 1800s, but in this version of the 1800s, Earth had space travel capabilities, Mars is populated by Martians, and it is far from uncommon to meet alien races.
There were lots of neat characters, space pirates, exciting adventures, and exotic, otherworldly locales, and I loved the semi-Victorian writing style! All in all, I thought it was a very imaginative, clever book. The inside back cover says the author is writing more in the same world, and I am looking forward to reading them too.

3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Larklight.

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann This sounds really interesting! I may have to add it to my "to-read" shelf!;>

Kathryn Oooh, I am quite captivated by the review and the idea of this book! I will definitely have to add it to my "to-read" list. I'm such a fan of the Victorian era, and what could be more fun than space pirates and exotic locations and some nice romance tossed in with the adventure!?

message 3: by Qt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Qt To Katie and Annie:
I thought of you both while reading this one, and it struck me as one you might like if you do read it :-)