Ayu Palar's Reviews > Charmed Life

Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones

Oct 04, 09

bookshelves: children-books
Recommended for: Dini

After finishing The Life of Christopher Chant, which is quite draggy, I told myself that I didn’t want to read any Chrestomanci series this year. But I broke my promise, thanks to the awesome illustration of the Harper Collins’ edition. I do judge the book by its cover in this case. So, I let myself get back into Chrestomanci’s world again. This time, it didn’t make me feel bored at all, and I truly enjoyed every page, every spell, and every character.

Charmed Life’s main character is a boy named Eric ‘Cat’ Chant, who has a sister named Gwendolen, a talented girl in magic. An accident leads them to the castle of Chrestomanci, an enchanter whose role is to control the use of magic. With Gwendolen’s misuse of magic and her oh-so-bad attitude, everything seems to be very chaotic. But then, every secret is revealed and leaves a bitter pain for Cat.

What is interesting in the magical world in Diana Wynne Jones is the Chrestomanci. Like Howl, Chrestomanci is a flamboyant character (his clothes everytime he appears make me go lol), but then he’s wise, strong and charismatic. A right man for the position. Wynne Jones also creates many series of world. It’s quite confusing for me, actually. However, these many worlds do make the story more complicated and at the same time, exciting.

To end this review, I’d like to quote Mr. Neil Gaiman. If you haven’t read Diana Wynne Jones, you’re lucky. There are many interesting things you will find out :).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charmed Life.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tyas And please, don't even take a look at the Chrestomanci in the Indonesian cover! That's not Chrestomanci, that's Chrestoban... Oh, now I judge people :P