Johntaylor1973's Reviews > Choke

U 50x66
Oct 05, 2007

Recommended for: Anyone who loved Fight Club
Read in June, 2002

Victor Mancini is a very troubled guy. From his sex addictions to his mother issues to Palahniuk's favorite well to draw from--the disillusioned 30 something who is trying to find his personal Jesus--Choke is BY FAR my favorite of Chuck's books to read.

The last one I read, Haunted, was extremely uninteresting and forced, but I digress.

Choke starts out both shocking and hilarious, and I read the entire book in one happy sitting. His misadventures in the old-timey town, his quest to build the whatever, his flashbacks to his mom and the hair coloring swap, they all serve to form one incredibly entertaining and memorable journey of self-discovery.

Okay, that last sentence was thrown in there because I was watching a stupid Disney commercial as I type this. No, there is no wondrous understanding at the end of Choke. That's part of my fascination with Chuck P. We don't ride off into the sunset with the protagonist because, quite frankly, the protagonist is still just as pitiful and confused as the opening sentence. But what a ride!

And I just saw that the film is in post-production. I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE IT! YIP YIP HOOOOORAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Choke.

08/21/2016 marked as: read