Ben's Reviews > Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

Oct 05, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: kidbooks, fantasy, ya, booktalked
Read in January, 2006

Super popular, and better written than a lot of pulp kids' fantasy. Not my favorite, but I'll give the second one a shot down the road. Booktalk below.

Artemis Fowl, by Eoin Colfer.

My name is Artemis Fowl, Jr. I may only be twelve years old, but I’m already one of the world’s great criminal masterminds. Don’t believe me? Well, you will, as soon as I’ve restored my family’s fortune with the fairy gold. You see, my family used to be one of the richest in Europe, until my dad went missing when his ship carrying 250,000 cans of soda was hit by a Russian missile. Now it’s up to me to make the Fowl family feared once again.

Luckily, I’m a natural criminal mastermind. That, and now I have the fairy book. You see, they have a handbook – the fairies – that tells them all about magic, about technology, and how to stay hidden from the ‘mud people’ – that’s us. It took me a long time to steal one, and understand the language, but now that I have I’ve got the edge. I also know about the fund. Fairies don’t each have a pot of gold, not even the LEP recons – they’re the fairies’ spies – but there is gold, and it will be mine.

I won’t tell you my whole plan, because I don’t want you leaking it to the fairies. I will say this, though: with what I learned from the book, it should be a piece of cake. Now all I have to do is find a fairy.

Artemis does, in fact, find a fairy for his criminal plot, but Captain Holly is no Elf to be messed with. And if that weren’t enough, the fairies launch a rescue mission. If anyone is up to the task of holding off the fairy magic and technology, it’s Artemis. But will his genius be enough to win the day, and steal the gold? Or will the fairies show him who’s boss? Artemis Fowl, by Eoin Colfer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Artemis Fowl.