Coldforged Dupuis's Reviews > Foucault's Pendulum

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco

Jul 30, 10

Read from July 22 to 30, 2010

Often described as an intellectual adventure, this one didn't resonate with me as a coherent story. Then again, I don't know that it's trying to.

A winding, sometimes rambling discourse on the futility of constantly searching for the unknowable while failing to recognize true moments of grace, I often felt like Eco wanted me to pay a similar mental penance as the characters to truly understand the perils of such thought. I get it but admit that it was a trial. The constant shifts in The Plan -- the Jews are involved, no they're not. They just want us to think they're not involved. They created the whole thing. Wait, the Jesuits just want us to think it's the Jews. The Jews are in league with the Jesuits. No, the Jews would never be a part of it! Etc, etc, ad nauseum -- which give the patina of complexity come across as mere mental masturbation after a while.

The eventual payoff if it can be called that did not feel worth the considerable effort.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foucault's Pendulum.