Chana's Reviews > Night of the Radishes: A Novel

Night of the Radishes by Sandra Benitez

Oct 01, 09

bookshelves: fiction-family-drama, mexico, national-hispanic-heritage-award
Read in October, 2009, read count: 1

The story of Annie, a woman who has suffered a lot of loss in her life; The book opens with the death of her mother, and we learn about the death of her twin sister and father as well. Her brother has been estranged from the family for over 20 years and much of the story has to do with Annie's search for him. It is over-sentimental, full of pop psychology and kind of a blender of religion mixing new-age with Mexican and Indian traditions, some Catholic I assume, others I don't know the source of. I read it in one day and cried my way through it even as I was thinking 'ridiculous'. Does this sound profound to you? "It's all so hard, Mil, all this grief. It hurts so much." "Well, of course it does, honey." She lifts a strand of hair from my face and brushes it aside. "That's why it's called grief and not an avocado." I either have a simple mind or I was over-wrought today. Those words had me sobbing! (Laughing now!)
I forgot to mention the radishes, The Night of the Radishes, in fact. This is a true cultural festival in Oaxaca, held on Dec. 23. From what I read in my google search the traditions are described accurately in the book and are very interesting. I have rather an aversion to actually being in Mexico but I liked reading about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night of the Radishes.

09/30/2009 page 138