Suzanne's Reviews > Island in the Sea of Time

F_50x66
Oct 28, 09

bookshelves: sci-fi
Read in October, 2009

Disappointing. I loved the premise of this book (modern Americans sent back in time, need to cope and rebuild society) but the sex and race stuff was just ick, and the violence was unappealing. I found the rape scenes really disturbing and wish they had not been included. While Stirling is great at thinking through the hows of this situation, some of his characters and scenes are so hard to take that I ended up skimming whole sections. I appreciate that the leads were not all straight white men, but I wish that the lesbian couple was not treated so voyeristically, especially when compared to the white heterosexual couples.

Bad sign: I actually put the book down in the middle of a climactic scene, and didn't pick it up again for a week.
Good sign: I will probably pick the next two books up at the library next time I notice them on the shelf, because I'm sort of curious about how the cross cultural interactions continue.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Island in the Sea of Time.