Suzanne's Reviews > Doomsday Book

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

F 50x66
Sep 29, 2009

bookshelves: sci-fi, public-health-fiction

One of my all-time favorites! Anyone who knows my reading taste will not be surprised that I love a time-traveling, plague-ridden, extremely detailed, historical novel/sci-fi book. I find it interesting that this book has gotten almost all either one- or five-star reviews. I suppose I can see how you might find it boring, but it hits many of my favorite plots and book characteristics: epidemics, the Plague, historical fiction, extremely detailed historical fiction, strong female characters, vivid characters in general, well-researched, and an unusual idea. The details of life in the middle ages and life in the middle of a modern epidemic are extremely well-researched/imagined (we only wish we had the medical care Connie Willis imagines....) and vividly written. The ending is amazing--a weaker writer would have been tempted to strike either a happier or sadder note, but I found it both painful and well-balanced. I read this years ago and never forgot it; I found it even better on a re-read, post-public health education and during a time of major flu epidemics. I'd highly recommend it to my public health friends, especially those looking to explore some science fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doomsday Book.