Devon Rhodes's Reviews > Simply Sinful

Simply Sinful by Kate Pearce

Dec 07, 09

bookshelves: m-m, m-f-erotic, menage-erotic-m-f

** spoiler alert ** (Crosspost from my blog, where I discuss "pen envy"--books by other authors we wish we had written, http://ohgetagrip.blogspot.com/2009/1...)

Peter is a young man made jaded before his time by his childhood capture at sea and subsequent service in a middle eastern brothel. When he is approached by Lord James Beecham to help him save his marriage, the request intrigues him and sets the three into an intimate dance.

Under the radar of the main storyline of Peter's interaction and eventual relationship with Abigail, come the raw and deeply felt needs of James. He had been initiated into manlove by a sexual dominant and sadist, and now craves domination, by a man, to a point where he cannot perform in his marriage bed. Abigail means the world to him and her request for him to father a child on her forces him to try to overcome his natural inclinations with Peter's help.

The first meeting between Peter and James is one of the most powerful scenes I've ever read. Well before the reader is made aware of his masochistic need to submit, you can feel the undercurrents as James tries to alternately force and tempt Peter into helping him, eventually using the ruse of calling in a gambling win and Peter's own strong sense of honor against him.

It was my first ever exposure to m/m sexual interaction, and that blowjob literally blew my mind. Reading on, I had no idea how it was all going to come to a happy ending, especially when Peter's affinity for James' wife and his inability to give James the domination he craves became clear. The eventual resolution was inventive and emotional, and I was hooked. All the subtexts and angles to the story, including Peter's complex relationship with his best friend and fellow prisoner in the brothel, Valentin, flat wrung me out.

Fabulous read on so many levels!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Simply Sinful.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

~Lei ~  Reading Is An Adventure ~ I couldn't have said it better myself.