Ann Marie's Reviews > Mrs. Lincoln: A Life

Mrs. Lincoln by Catherine Clinton

Nov 02, 2009

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in November, 2009

I finished this book and can just say Mary Lincoln, even though she did have a difficult personality, was much maligned. I rated it so high though because it got me to thinking. The book ended by saying that no other first ladies had been treated this badly except Eleanor Roosevelt and Hilary Clinton. I actually believe every bad thing I read about Hilary Clinton. In light of this book however, I must reconsider. Judgment is not for us nor should we be repeating gossip. Somehow with Hilary Clinton it didn't seem like judging or gossip and yet it is. I can only not repeat things I hear about people in the news and that I actually don't know to be true but must rely on the spirit when voting. Think before I say or act or decide anything I guess is what I learned.

I haven't finished this book yet but I am so impressed with Mary Lincoln and sad for her at the same time. She sewed her clothes and those of her children plus did her own cooking for a long time. (I didn't know that and thought it was interesting.) When they got to Washington the society snubbed the Lincoln's because they weren't from the establishment but were just back woods people who didn't know anything. It didn't matter what Mary did it was reported on negatively. They even would start bad rumors. (This is all supported with facts in the book). Reminds me of Mormons. I am about half way through and am sad that her life will be going downhill from now on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs. Lincoln.

09/29/2009 page 56

message 1: by Patsy (new)

Patsy Ann Marie, I read a book called Love is Eternal by Irving Stone, which is about the Lincoln Family. I have to agree with you that Mary's life was very hard. I always thought if you were the Presidents wife, life would be wonderful, but this book shows all she had to endure, both with the public and her family. Jeri Russell has also read this book and we have both kept it as one of our favorites.

Nomad Wow ,comparing Mary Todd Lincoln to Hillary Clinton ?