Carrie Hinkel-Gill's Reviews > Gone

Gone by Lisa McMann

Feb 04, 11

bookshelves: mlm-ya-cove
Recommended for: Anyone who likes light paranormal, dreams, and the choices people make and how they effect others
Read from March 11 to 15, 2010

Sorry my review of this book took so long to post. There are just so many books and so little time, especially when I suffer from migraines!

I finished this book back in March of 2010, but received it a month or two prior to that. While a quick and easy read, I found myself dawdling with finishing it.

Please, please, please do not take this the wrong way here. I was dawdling not because it was hard to get into, but because this one is the last of the trilogy and I just didn't want it to end.

How can I put this in a way that you'll truly understand? By using another book as an example. Okay, not the book, but the story. Have you ever read, The Monster at the End of this Book? If not, here's a brief overview of what's going on in this fun and playful children's book. Grover is scared because he knows there's a monster at the end of the book and he doesn't want to meet it, so he does everything he can to keep you from turning the page from using paper clips and staples to building a wall. Every time you turn the page, you destroy his efforts and he gets more and more scared.(clever idea to get a kid to read a book, huh?)

Anyway, that's me in this scenario. I'm Grover and I'm afraid to get to the end of this book because I know that there's no more Janie and Cabel to read about after this book is done. I like Janie, Cabel and all of her friends, so I stalled the book as long as I could. I did not want their story to end, so I dawdled and dragged my feet until I was so hooked and wasn't putting it down.

Just like one of the dreams Janie encounters in this novel, I got sucked in and I couldn't stop reading and before I knew it, I had finished the novel. That's it, the end of the trilogy. Whaaaaaa! But I don't want it to end! I want there to be more about these characters! It's too soon to end!

Okay, enough of my whining...for now.

This book is full of drama, intrigue and mystery. From the beginning you keep wondering what Janie will do. Will she stay working at the police force? Will she stay with Cabel? Who is the man that Janie's mother was so desperate not to see? Not just who is he to Janey, but who is he and why does he need Janie's help? How will she help him? Will she be able to help him?

This book is a fast-paced page-turner that is perfect for readers of all ages, including the Reluctant Reader. This book while having a paranormal feel to it, seems more mystery with some moderate suspense and light intrigue to me. It's also very romance light. Oh, it's there, it's just not the focal point, even though some of the mystery and suspense involve the status of the relationship. My one knock against this book is that it isn't as crime driven as the other two, so there's no crime case to solve, but there are plenty of questions that need answering.

To read more about my review, visit:
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone.

03/13/2010 page 24