Ellen's Reviews > Running for Mortals: A Commonsense Plan for Changing Your Life With Running

Running for Mortals by John Bingham

Oct 01, 09

bookshelves: 2009, running

As a beginning runner ("mortals" is a kind way of putting it) I have been looking for a book that goes over some basics without making me feel discouraged. This book is a little overwhelmingly rah-rah but it fit the bill better than any other one I've found.

Bingham used to be an overweight smoker until he started running and now he does marathons. His "anyone can do it!" message is pushed in every chapter along with tips on form, equipment and motivation, cowritten with his wife (who is also a mega-runner). The conversational tone keeps them from getting too technical on topics like strength training.

Where I thought the book fell down was in the accompanying training schedules, which I found wildly unrealistic. The absolute-beginner schedule contains five workouts a week -- five! That's a great recipe for burnout. (By contrast the Couch to 5K program suggests three workouts a week.) To me, again as a non-runner, that suggests that Bingham has drunk the "Runner's World" Kool-Aid and should have run it past a few mortals. Still, if you want a book that will talk about running basics without regular choruses of "You're doing it wrong," this will be right up your alley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running for Mortals.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary Hi Ellen. I was just looking at some of your book reviews. Don't know how old this one was but just thought I'd send you an article on the 10% rule. You've probably heard of it by now but just in case, it's important for any runner whether beginner or advanced to go by. I often tend to disobey it and the result is something like what I have now-a heel spur.(and after too many years of running to mention) ha. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0...

message 1: by Ellen (new) - added it

Ellen I hadn't heard of it, actually. Thank you! This is a really good tip.

Mary wrote: "Hi Ellen. I was just looking at some of your book reviews. Don't know how old this one was but just thought I'd send you an article on the 10% rule. You've probably heard of it by now but just i..."