Maureen's Reviews > The Inaugural Address, 2009: Together with Abraham Lincoln's First and Second Inaugural Addresses and The Gettysburg Address and Ralph Waldo Emerson's Self-Reliance

The Inaugural Address, 2009 by Barack Obama

Sep 29, 2009

bookshelves: library-books

"to those leaders around the globe who seek to sow conflict or blame their society's ills on the west, know that your people will judge you by what you can build, not what you destroy. to those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent, know that you are on the wrong side of history, but that we will extend a hand if you will unclench your fist.
"to those people of poor nations, we pledge to work alongside you to make your farms flourish and clean waters flow; to nourish starved bodies and feed hungry minds. ...

"what is required of us now is a new era of responsibility- a recognition on the part of every American that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world, duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inaugural Address, 2009.