Jessica's Reviews > Traveling With Pomegranates: A Mother-Daughter Story

Traveling With Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd

1943480
Sep 29, 2009

Read in September, 2009

I'm always intrigued by books about mothers and daughters. However, this one was of particular interest (and great delight) that the relationship was not dysfunctional as it is often portrayed. Yes, it's a complex relationship, but not necessarily dysfunctional. This was a mother/daughter story that I could relate to; I often could see me and my mom is this story. We need each other and love each other--something I think every woman longs for.

Acclaimed author Sue Monk Kidd and her daughter Ann Kidd Taylor spent time in Greece and France over the course of two years. During this time, Sue is coming to turns with the final phase of her life and turning fifty and Ann is struggling with how to begin her own life. They draw a similar comparison to the Greek myth of Demeter and Persephone.

I found this novel to be an insightful read. As women, we're always changing and it's never to late to redefine ourselves, as Sue discovers in her fifties.

A great read and I can't wait for my mom to pick it up.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Traveling With Pomegranates.