M.D.'s Reviews > Nigella Express: Good Food, Fast

Nigella Express by Nigella Lawson

Sep 29, 09

I don't often review cookbooks. In fact, I almost never review them, but I felt this one deserved a mention. I first became interested in Nigella Lawson's type of cooking through her TV program, Nigella Bites. She has a way of going through a recipe in a few, simple, sensual steps that is very attractive. Her recipes are usually full of flavour and are quick to prepare.

Quick is what I like (in addition to the sensual part of cooking), so I picked up Nigella Express. Overall, the book meets it's title. Most of the recipes take less than a half hour to prepare. Her Crab and Avocado Salad with Japanese Dressing is refreshing and flavorful. She mixes Scallops and Chorizo for a quick, different and colorful meal. The Layered Salad with Roast Quail and the Buttermilk Roast Chicken are again very simple but full of flavour. Her Lamb Cutlets with Chilli and Black Olives are to die for.

The only two criticisms I have is that here recipes are often too loaded with fat and that the book contains entirely too many desserts. Regardless, every recipe I've tried so far is a keeper.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nigella Express.