Sarah's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Nov 30, 2009

bookshelves: 2009-oct-read, 2009-read
Read in October, 2009

It's so hard to describe what this book is about, I attempted it once and the person looked at me like I was crazy. I think I said something like, children in a competition where the objective was to kill everyone and only the winner would be the survivor! :D

Let's give it another shot...there's a Hunger Games that is held annually. The 12 Districts must each send one girl candidate and one guy candidate. Most dread that time of year when the names of the candidates will be drawn.

This year, Katniss and Peeta have been picked to participate for their district. Katniss is the main character, she's a tough girl, who has taken care of her family (her mum and younger sister) for years. Her younger sister was picked first, but Katniss volunteered to take her place. She's not very happy to find out that Peeta is the guy candidate, because a long time ago, he once did a favor for her, saving her family from starvation, and she wonders how she'll ever be able to kill him in the games, if she wants to survive.

As the games start, the candidates start dying one by one, either due to being killed by other participants, or because of the surroundings that they have been placed in. Katniss uses her skills to stay alive, and her chances of winning become brighter.

I didn't expect to like the book this much, but I read so many rave reviews that I decided to give it a try. And I'm glad I did, it was really good!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.