Brandon's Reviews > A Clergyman's Daughter

A Clergyman's Daughter by George Orwell

Jan 22, 10

bookshelves: four, 2010
Read in January, 2010

At first I thought I would be disappointed and was disturbed that I could think such a think of an Orwell book. The first chapter was incredibly slow goings; alas, the story became infinitely more interesting. It became more and more intense and dramatic as the narrative went along. By the time I reached the last chapter I was on the proverbial edge of my seat.

[Spoilers 1:]
When Dorothy first revealed that she had lost her faith, I was beyond shocked. I couldn't believe that such a revelation was so quickly mentioned and forgotten, with reason!
[/Spoilers 1:]

Near the end, I must admit that I nearly shed one single man tear at Mr. Warburton's vision of Dorothy's future as a single woman. I hated him so much and the scene was so dramatic that the combination was almost embarrassingly powerful.

[Spoilers 2:]
Fascinating point: If you read only the first and last chapters, it would appear that nothing had occurred during the read of the novel. This blows my mind. Does this mean it was a good ending or a bad ending (Glass half empty or full)?
[/Spoilers 2:]

P.S.
I laughed so hard when Mr. Warburton said, "I generally try to pass myself off as an American." My how times have changed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Clergyman's Daughter.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wayne (new)

Wayne Thanks for an interesting review,Brandon.
I DO like and admire Orwell, but have never read any of his novels, except for "1984".
One reviewer here called Orwell"mysogonistic" which seems like a misreading to me.
I DO hope I can get time to read this and I'll try your 'first and last' chapter trick.
I actually did that with Ian McEwan's much lauded "Atonement" and wondered what the hell he could have put inbetween.
Not much.
Dreadful damn book!!!
Happy Reading from Wayne,Sydney, Australia.