Heather's Reviews > According to Jane

Oct 06, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: first-reads
Read in October, 2009

I won this on Firstreads and can't wait to get it. I'm an Austen junkie!!!!

Updated October 2009 - I received this book yesterday. Incredibly fast shipping with a nice handwritten note from the author. Which makes me feel really bad about the review I'm about to write.

I should preface this by saying that I don't watch rated R movies. And I stay away from most PG-13 ones too. According to Jane was rated R, maybe even X. There were multiple scenes of explicit you-know-what. There was also a lot of swearing including the F-bomb, frequently. Not my cup of tea.

I read the first fourth or so and once I hit a few 'detailed' scenes I started skimming. I thought the storyline was cute and the growth of the character interesting, but I just couldn't be okay with the other stuff. I also had a hard time with just how much Ellie, the main character, slept around. A lot of it was with "steady boyfriends" but my code of morality doesn't justify that type of behavior. And neither does Jane Austen's. I don't think she would have approved of this book. Yes, she wrote about characters who did bad things (ie Willoughby, Lydia and Mr. Wickham, etc), but she never went into details. She always wrote about the immorality of those things - she did not embrace them.

In retrospect I shouldn't have finished the book. There are images in my head now that I'd rather not be there. I guess this review is for those that might be tempted to read a fun sounding Austen-y book, but have the same standards I do. Don't read this.

I know there is a large population of people who enjoy this type of book and I do not pass judgement. It's just not for me.

7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read According to Jane.

03/24 marked as: read

message 1: by Deanna (new)

Deanna I haven't won anything yet. What's the secret to your success??? Congratulations!

Heather I don't know!!! I hope you win something good soon though. I'm still waiting for the first book. Hopefully it will get here before this second one, because, to be honest, I'd much rather read an Austen-ish book.

message 3: by Deanna (new)

Deanna I'd go with Austen too! Happy reading! : )

message 4: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Yuck. Thanks for the review!

message 5: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Thanks for the warning! What a bummer...it sounded cute. Have you tried reading Austenland by Shannon Hale? It's clean and fun.

Heather Kristin - I have read Austenland and loved it. I was hoping this book would be similar, but it wasn't.

message 7: by Kristin (new)

Kristin That's such a let down! I also suggest watching the BBC mini-series called Lost in Austen (it's 3 hours long, but so good) if you haven't seen it. I rented it, then went out and bought it because I love it so much.

Heather Thanks for the suggestion. I just added it to my Netflix queue.