dgw's Reviews > No Logo

No Logo by Naomi Klein

Dec 22, 10

bookshelves: business, society, psychology
Read from November 18 to December 14, 2010

An enjoyable read at the start, but I got bogged down in esoteric grammatical mistakes and references to seemingly nonexistent images later in the book. The second half was kind of a slog; I considered not finishing it. Much of it seemed a bit repetitive.

The occasional turn of phrase struck me as odd (I'd never thought to myself that I should "suck back" a latté—my dislike for coffee aside), but the real intrigue was in the references to tables in the Appendix. Every reference I found in the text gave a page number that was wrong, the table in question located exactly 12 pages later than specified. (While I'm on the subject: Most of those "tables" aren't tables at all, but figures. But I quibble over semantics.)

My original hypothesis was that 12 pages of notes were added at the last minute and the references were never updated (something I've run across a few times when compiling documents in LaTeX, which often requires multiple passes to get all the references right). But when I looked at the Afterword and discovered that it was precisely 12 pages long, I realized what had happened. The page numbers were quite likely taken from the first edition, which having no Afterword put the Appendix 12 pages earlier, and updating them was probably overlooked in the preparation of this edition. Oops.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Logo.

11/18/2010 page 107