Sarah Sammis's Reviews > Science Fiction and Alternate History, a Collection of Short Stories

Science Fiction and Alternate History, a Collection of Short ... by David K. Scholes

Aug 11, 10

bookshelves: review-copy, read-in-2010, released
Read from May 25 to June 04, 2010

If you're a regular of my blog, you know I like reading science fiction short stories. When I read short stories, I prefer them short and to the point. Science Fiction and Alternate History by David Scholes seemed like a perfect fit.

I wish it were. Frankly I'm not sure what to make of it or how to review it. The stories are extremely short, mostly a page or two. The longest ones run three to four pages.

There really isn't much to any story except a punchline. As individual stories there's not much there except for a surprise ending. Except being so short, the surprise doesn't really hold up. There's not enough development or set up to make the twist a twist.

As a whole book though, there is a hint at a plot progression. I know the book is presented as a collection of short stories but it really works better as a speculative fiction novel containing extremely short chapter.

I received the book for review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Science Fiction and Alternate History, a Collection of Short Stories.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Sounds like a collection of flash-fiction.