jill's Reviews > Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading: Finding and Losing Myself in Books

Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading by Maureen Corrigan

F_50x66
Nov 05, 09

bookshelves: memoir
Read in October, 2009

I ran into one of my co-workers while I was reading this, and she suggested that I just make a copy of the cover and turn it into a dust jacket to transfer from book to book. The title really is probably the best part of the book.
My favorite section of the book was her discussion of detective fiction, which I also read a lot. I don't have the Catholic background that the author does, so the in-depth discussion of Catholic martyr books she goes into was mostly lost on me. I think she went a little too far into her analysis of some of the books -- given that most of her audience may not have read one or more of the books she really focuses on, her detailed analysis kind of drags. Most of the points she makes could have been done more efficiently.
Still, I liked her voice, simultaneously educated and (largely) unpretentious. I couldn't identify with the semi-lapsed Catholicism, but the lapsed English major thing I get. I'm not sure I buy into her argument of the feminine extreme adventure narrative, but it's an interesting way of looking at certain classics. And I picked up the term "learned androgyny" for the female reading experience. Also, she reminded me that I've been wanting to read Gaudy Night, so maybe I'll finally pick that up when I get my Baltimore library card.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading.