Briynne's Reviews > Gunnar's Daughter

Gunnar's Daughter by Sigrid Undset

Oct 09, 09

Read in October, 2009

I'm going to try not to gush, but it's going to be tough. I am in awe of Sigrid Undset. Total and complete awe. The style of the novel was intriguing. Undset models the book after the old sagas, which gives it a fundamentally different tone than that of Kristen Lavransdatter. At first, I was not entirely convinced; it seemed a little awkward and artificial, but thankfully after a couple of chapters she seemed to settle into the form. Or, perhaps, she simply abandoned her initial strict adherence to it and let her own voice come out more. I love how she can write such an intimate account of a character with such simplicity.

The story, in typical Undset form, is heart-breaking. I won't go into the details of the plot, but Vigdis Gunnarsdatter is a pretty remarkable woman. She faces a fairly horrible life head-on with a level of independence, determination, and viciousness that could never have been expected of her. I liked how she didn't fold under the weight of it all. In fact, I liked just about everything about this book. Read it!
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gunnar's Daughter.