Melissa Jackson's Reviews > The English Patient

The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje

Jun 13, 11

This book is a slow moving dream-- like a great, surrounding poem. The language is unbelievably sensual and the story is like nothing you'll ever read. It is thick with emotion and description. Although somewhat laborious at parts, it's altogether disassembling (to quote the author). It takes you into the raw bleeding heart of Almasy and never lets go. It made me want to die....and then be re-born and read it again. I could not ever express how much I love love love this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The English Patient.

Quotes Melissa Liked

Michael Ondaatje
“What he would say, he cannot say to this woman whose openness is like a wound, whose youth is not mortal yet. He cannot alter what he loves most in her, her lack of compromise, where the romance of the poems she loves still sits with ease in the real world. Outside these qualities he knows there is no order in the world.”
Michael Ondaatje, The English Patient
tags: love

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brad One of the wonders of the book for me is that I can read it and fall in love with Hannah, then read it again and be taken into the "raw bleeding heart of Almasy," then read it again yearn to climb an ivy covered wall with Caravaggio, then read it again and wonder at the poise of Kip. It's different every time.

Melissa Jackson I know! Ah!
It is such an epic work of poetry/fiction. Like you, I have read this book over and over again.

My boyfriend and I almost went as Hannah and Kip for Halloween, but soon realized that absolutely no one would know who we were. :)

Brad I read your review again, Melissa, and I gotta say I think you do express, very well, how much you love this book.

Melissa Jackson Hey thanks Brad. I love it A LOT.

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott Yes, great review. For me, this book will always be the one that tied with Sacred Hunger for the Booker Prize back in ‘92. Only time that has ever happened. Two awesome books.