Allison's Reviews > Unfeeling: A Novel

Unfeeling by Ian Holding

Nov 11, 09

bookshelves: fiction
Read in November, 2009

I sort of feel like the title of this novel has more to do with my reaction to it than to the content of the book. I generally really appreciate a human face being put on a tragic or problematic situation. I had read about white farmers being slaughtered and their farms taken over by black South Africans, in a clumsy, violent, horrifying effort at restoring an imbalance, and I was interested in reading about it. I just never felt emotionally connected to any of the characters. It's certainly well written for a first novel. I'm not certain if the distancing effect was intended, or if it's a failing in me as a reader, or in the book. Marsha and Leigh were interesting as characters, but their mysterious connection was barely touched on. The sense of corruption and arbitrariness in the application of law was strong, but the policemen and the woman who took over the farm almost seem like caricatures. Again, I'm not sure if this was intended or not, and it seems like in more assured hands it would be more clear.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unfeeling.