Lindsey's Reviews > The Road

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Mar 17, 11

bookshelves: physical-library, read-in-2009
Read in September, 2009 — I own a copy

What can I really say about a book that won a Pulitzer Prize, written by a writer who is at every turn a genius? Nothing. I can't say anything of value. Just read this. This novel is amazing. Don't wait for the forth-coming movie. The forth-coming movie will be a sham. It has no way of even comparing, unless it turns out to be three hours of Cormac McCarthy sitting there reading the book to you word for breath-taking word. Every single sentence holds its own ravaging beauty like a rite, like a spell, and it's impossible to translate that to the screen. No director can improve, even with the most stunning cinematography, on the desolate and heart-rending passages McCarthy constructs. His scenes drip from the page, to read them isn't even like reading. It's like absorbing. Even though nothing "happens" in almost three hundred pages, they are three hundred pages that demand to be devoured - I did so in all of about three days. Reader be warned... make sure you're not reading the last few in a crowded subway car if you don't like strangers watching you cry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.

09/28/2009 page 31