Donna's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Sep 28, 2009

bookshelves: my-bookshelf, ya, book-challenge-2010, series
Read from May 13 to 27, 2010

I really enjoyed it for reasons I cannot explain. I hated the Twilight series and I kept thinking what makes this different in terms of reality? I don't like the idea of science fiction fantasy but for some reason this one brought me to liking it and accepting it. I already have the set of three (the fourth has yet to be released).

I really liked the characters. I like how it played more to the now except it was really hard for me to believe that 16-years-old's knew so much or maybe I knew too little at the age. I also loved that they were in NYC. I love to read about my area because it is better for me to picture it. The ending was a little creepy and I wanted to bring the rating down to 3 stars but I kept pushing forward and told myself that I loved everything else so why lower it? I would rather have given it 3.75 stars but I had to choose.

This book, to me, wasn't suspenseful nor was it a true love story. It was a story with a lot of twists and turns and I thought it was captivating and inviting. Things seemed to be believable although it is obviously not. It is always hard to write reviews when I hate to do spoilers. it is my job to try to sell a book to other people and hope that they will read it but I figure let others make decisions. I read what I want to read and I read what my book clubs choose or take recommendations. I would never force someone to read a book but I would tell them to give it a chance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

05/13/2010 page 1
05/15/2010 page 116
23.92% "I am really enjoying this so far. I can't believe I waited so long to read it!"
05/17/2010 page 135
27.84% "last night of class until August!!! I will get more reading done now!"
show 8 hidden updates…