Stephany's Reviews > The Amber Spyglass

The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

Sep 27, 2009

Read in September, 2009

I needed intelli-brain floss (i.e. book candy that's smarter than Twilight, which I confess to having read) while writing my dissertation, and I got it with the His Dark Materials series. Yes, it may seem like I'm morphing into one of those adult Harry Potter fans who wears a Hogwarts scarf in public and only reads "young adult literature," but His Dark Materials will make even you take issue with the tendency for any book with a non-adult main character to be called a "book for young adults."

His Dark Materials is just plain fun and can't-put-down good. The first and third books were the best. They've got science, fantasy, religion, incredibly engaging and developed characters, and more imagination in a few pages than most authors ever display. I loved it (if not the ending, but hey, you can't have it all). I wasn't able to think about anything else (work, dissertation, wedding) while I read this, and that was not just the whole point (it was) but should be testament enough to exactly how entertaining it is.

Now, on to reading Hunger Games!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amber Spyglass.