Patricia's Reviews > Gone with the Wind

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

2782036
Feb 11, 2011

bookshelves: favorite, historical-fiction, newsweek-s-top-100, favorites, 100-greatest-novels
Read in August, 2010 — I own a copy

I was never a big fan of the movie and didn't expect to love this book as I did. I read a review where this book was described as an American War and Peace. I can definitely see the resemblance, as I loved that book in much the same way. Gone With the Wind is much more than the love story portrayed on-screen. It is a story of survival, of tragedy and loss, nostalgia and change, strength over adversity, feminism, class, love, hate and so much more. You know a book is well-written when the main character is selfish, materialistic and loathsome and yet you are still drawn to the story. Throughout the novel Scarlett is divisive and completely lacking in compassion and moral character, but the reader cannot help but admire her strength and continues to hope for her eventual redemption. Rhett is money-hungry, a cynic and a scoundrel, although a charming one at times. As the story unfolds, he becomes less repulsive and the reader begins to empathize more with his character. It was also interesting to read about the time of the Civil War from a different perspective than I'm used to, from a Southerner's point of view. I really enjoyed reading this book and I'm sure will pick it up again in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone with the Wind.

07/14/2010 page 127