Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > On Borrowed Wings: A Novel

On Borrowed Wings by Chandra Prasad

Sep 28, 2009

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in September, 2009

What a lovely story!!! And so many stories in one... so many issues dealt with by the characters.. There is a well to do, spoiled girl that marries "beneath" her and is indefinetly estranged from her parents. There is a tense marriage between an Italian immigrant and a woman not quite used to doing for herself. There is sibling rivalry as one child is always favored over the other. There is mother/daughter discord, death, grief, and of course, the main plot, a girl dressing as a boy to attend Yale. It all blends so beautifully together.

I loved Adele and I enjoyed watching her mature and grow throughout the novel. When she steps into her dead brother's shoes and attends Yale in his place, she is a scared young girl. By the time her first year is over she is blossoming into a mature, strong minded woman hidden in a pair of trousers. I also liked the sexual tension between her and one of her friends. I was in suspense wondering where that would go. Adele also pulls off a very admirable stunt with a professor that is a closet Nazi. This being pre World War 2, I thought it was an excellent touch. I liked the friends and "family" Adele adopts along the way too. I found myself warming to the characters and even felt as tho I was in their homes.

My only complaint: A sequel is in order. I am left somewhat hanging. I think Prasad should write another book with Adele.. What does she do after college? What becomes of her relationship with Wick? How much longer can she pass herself off as a boy? Tell us more, Prasad!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Borrowed Wings.

09/27/2009 page 25
7.44% "So far, so good. Girl dressing up as a boy to attend Yale in the 1940s.. right up my alley!"
09/27/2009 page 131
38.99% "This is much better than Prasad's "Breathe The Sky." I am enjoying it very much. Love the style and the character."
09/28/2009 page 280
83.33% "Her hooking up with a fellow at a racy show.. very weird and out of place. Still trying to figure that out. Love Amelia's speech."