Stephanie's Reviews > Songs in Ordinary Time

Songs in Ordinary Time by Mary McGarry Morris

F_50x66
Sep 27, 09

Read in September, 2009

The characters in this novel are facing bleak prospects, their plights hard and long... no surprise; it is an Oprah pick after all.

I hesistantly picked it up - 740 pages of bleakness is what I first thought. What can I say, I've read enough of Oprah's picks to know that sometimes the journey she's recommended I embark on will leave me with feelings of hopelessness.

But altogether it was not a bad read... there is a bit of redemption in the end but the author is true enough to the characters to not squeeze an ounce of happiness into that ending.

Despite what sounds like a negative review, I enjoyed the author's narrative style and perceptiveness... and I'll look up her other works.

Benjy, the littlest of the Fermoyles (the prinicipal cahracters of the book)... is such a beautiful character... wishing so hard for his mom's happiness. The mom's character is heart-breaking... she does have love... it just is trapped inside by the overwhelming pressures of daily routine and the constant threat of poverty.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Songs in Ordinary Time.