Phair's Reviews > Sanibel Flats

Sanibel Flats by Randy Wayne White

Sep 27, 2009

bookshelves: mystery
Read in May, 2005 , read count: 2

I happened across Doc Ford around the time Dick Francis announced his retirement from writing (c2000). Randy Wayne White seemed to have the "Dick Francis feel" to his books- the decent, stoically suffering hero and the way of presenting interesting information about various topics within a cracking good story. Can't now recall the first one I read but I immediately went back to #1 and caught up fast!

In 2005 I suggested Sanibel for a f2f mystery discussion group. It held up well as a re-read for me and I had in fact forgotten much of the story detail. I was once again impressed with how much I LIKE the character of Doc Ford as a person. I like the way he sees nature, women and his friends. A good philosophy and a good man despite his somewhat amoral past in covert ops. Had also forgotten how much of Doc's secret past was revealed in this first installment. I always find those parts the most interesting- I like the way he continues to use those skills and those connections but how conflicted he is about being drawn back in and his regret over some past actions.

Some of the technology had already become antiquated upon second reading (1200 baud modem connections!) and I had forgotten that he hardly knew Tomlinson at the very beginning although I did enjoy the re-introduction to Tomlinson and his off the wall philosophy.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sanibel Flats.